Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ultimate Rebound: Draft Bust LaRue Martin Lands NBA Gig

Filed under: ,

LOS ANGELES -- It's not just full circle LaRue Martin believes he's come.

"It's full blown,'' he said.

FanHouse last month profiled Martin, the No. 1 pick in 1972 who is regarded as the biggest draft bust in NBA history, but has been able to turn his life around by becoming a successful corporate manager at UPS in Chicago. While trying to get bad memories of basketball out of the system, Martin had talked in the article about not joining the NBA Retired Players Association because he was wary about "what people were going to think about me.''

Martin, a center who waived out of the NBA in 1976 after averaging just 5.3 points in four seasons, finally began to come to grips with his disappointing NBA tenure and started going to meetings during the early part of the past decade. Now, Martin has been named to the board of directors for the Retired Players Association.

"I wouldn't have done this before, but for the past seven or eight years I've been very active,'' said Martin, who began to feel a lot better when he was greeted warmly when he first began to attend meetings. "I put my name in two or three weeks ago and, before I knew it, Danny Schayes (interim executive director of the organization) gave me a call and asked me if I wanted it. And I said, 'Thank you very much.'''

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

sports you fox sports la msn fox sports mexico just for sports sports resort motion plus wii

No comments:

Post a Comment